Tuesday, August 28, 2012




Watermelon Rind Pickles

I always feel so frugal when I make these crisp little pickles.  Using the part of the watermelon that usually goes into a landfill or at best into a compost bin satisfies my soul.  And they are like candy: sweet, tart, and delicious!  When their lids go "pop" it is one of my favorite tunes.  As I work on them I pray for the folks on my prayer list, especially my daughter Stefanie who is in the hospital right now 850 miles away.  She will be OK, but I still worry and pray.  Stef and I used to make gallons of apple butter together when we lived close.  I especially miss her when the canning kettle comes out.  We connect by phone, facebook and blogs and keep up with what's up with kids, what's on the stove, and what's on the needles/hook.  It's not the same as being together, but it is the best we can do right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment